On 21st May 1810 Joseph Barrow and John Taylor formed themselves into a distinct church of 47 members.
Land on which to build a chapel was purchased in 1826 by John Taylor for £100 and entailed a peppercorn rent. On 3 February Mrs Ann Beighton of Duffield released to them "a piece or parcel of land called the Green situated at Duffield…" This piece of land was described as between two roads which was originally "part of the waste lands within the liberty of Duffield."
By 1830 the chapel was completed in brick and stone the cost being met chiefly by John Taylor whose initials are carved over the main entrance
Before his death in1837 Taylor transferred it to a group of trustees who were: George Malin the Elder a farmer from Shottle, George Malin the Younger a farmer from Ashley Hay, George Houlgate a farmer from Hazelwood, William Sims a blacksmith from Belper, Joshua Reeder a framework knitter from Duffield, George Cooper a farmer from Duffield and William Abel a blacksmith from Duffield
Subsequently the church has seen periods of growth and decline. In addition part of the building was extended and more recently (about six years ago) the kitchen, toilets and small hall were refurbished. The picture on the left shows the main church interior as it is now where we plan to remove the pews and create a more versatile activity area.
Duffield Baptist Chapel was built near the centre of the village, on Makeney Road, in 1858. It was a simple building of two rooms, one for the services, where the baptistry was housed, and the other was a Sunday School room/kitchen.
The church exists to:
- Serve and encourage its members in their Christian lives;
- To make Jesus known by sharing the Gospel: and
- To support and be proactive in the life of the village of Duffield and surrounding area. The latter is through our current youth work, parent focused activities and senior citizens. We work alongside the other churches in Duffield in shared events within the community.